IT Specialist (Infosec) at Department of Veterans Affairs in Fairfield, CA
Department of Veterans Affairs📌 Fairfield, CA
You will be redirected to Department of Veterans Affairs's preferred application process.
IT Specialist (Infosec)
This position will support the Federal Government's response efforts to COVID-19
The Information System Security Officer (ISSO) is a position in the Office of Information Technology (OIT), ITOPS, ESO. In this position, you will support either a VA facility or specified or specified program area of responsibility and reports to either the Information System Security Manager (ISSM) or District Information Security Director (DISD) as the ESO Executive Director deems appropriate.
Learn more about this agency
Please read this public notice in its entirety prior to submitting your application.
Vacancies may not presently exist in each location but may become available at any point during the opening period of this vacancy announcement. Applicant resumes will not be reviewed until there is actually a request to fill a vacancy in a particular location
You are applying to a public notice that will be used to fill current and future vacancies. Please note, there may or may not be actual/projected vacancies at the time you submit your application. Your resume and any supporting documentation will be retained with other applicants and reviewed as vacancies occur.
We will not review your resume for qualifications until we receive a request to fill a vacancy using this public notice at which time you will be notified about the status of your application. You will not receive a notice regarding the status of your application other than the initial acknowledgement until a request is received to fill a position using this public notice.
This is a temporary appointment not to exceed 1 year. This appointment may be extended up to a maximum of 1 additional year (24 months of total service).
ScheduleMonday - Friday 8:00am
Virtual: This is a virtual position and you will be required to work at a VA facility
Telework: Available upon supervisory approval
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
Position DescriptionTitle/PD#: IT Specialist (Infosec) PD# 06047A/06024A
RequirementsThe work is primarily sedentary in nature. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
- Actively participate in network and systems design to ensure implementation of viable systems security policies and procedures
- Conduct systems security evaluations, audits and reviews; and develop Automated Information Systems (AIS) security contingency plans and disaster recovery procedures, as part of the local business continuity team
- Monitor and track controlled access programs to ensure implementation and viability of appropriate systems security policies, as well as the acquisition of IT security tools
- Investigate local AIS programs to identify possible breach of security and/or other violations
- Conduct vulnerability analysis and risk assessment studies of planned and installed information systems to assure that local AIS security plans and policies established are adequate for protection needs and comply as required by statute
- Facilitate and coordinate the gathering, analysis and preservation of evidence used in addressing security violations
- You may be expected to travel occasionally for this position.
- Job family (Series)
2210 Information Technology Management
- Computer Occupations, All Other
- Coordinators, Network
- Directors, Information Technology Systems
- Information Systems Managers
- Information Technology Systems Directors
Managers, Information Systems
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- May serve a probationary period
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- A complete application package; Resume, Transcripts, etc.
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
You may qualify based on your education/experience, as described below:
Selective Placement Factors (SPF) are a prerequisite to appointment and represent minimum requirements for the position. Applicants who do not meet the SPF are ineligible for further consideration.
Selective Placement Factor
- Possess knowledge and application of information security guidance and laws pertaining to any of the following: National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Special Publications, Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS), Federal Information Security Modernization Act of 2014 (FISMA), Risk Management Framework (RMF), DODInformation assurance Certification and Accreditation Process (DIACAP), Sarbanes
- Oxley (SOX), SAS-70.
For all grade levels for this position individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below.
1) Attention to Detail
- Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
2) Customer Service
- Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
3) Oral Communication
- Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
4) Problem Solving
- Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
ExperienceYou must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the federal service; experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSA's) and other characteristics to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled, in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization.
GS-11 grade level: One year of specialized experience (equivalent to the GS-9 grade level in the federal service). Specialized experience includes: conducting systems security evaluations and reviews of policy enforcement practices to ensure secure information systems reliability and accessibility; evaluating local Automated Information System (AIS) security program(s) to protect AIS from unauthorized access.
GS-12 grade level: One year of specialized experience (equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the federal service). Specialized experience includes: developing procedures and conducting systems security evaluations, audits and reviews of policy enforcement practices to ensure secure information systems reliability and accessibility; developing Automated Information Systems (AIS) security contingency plans and disaster recovery procedures as part of a local business continuity team.
EducationApplicants may substitute education for the experience required for the GS-11level. (Transcripts Required)
For the GS-11, you must have a Ph. D. or equivalent doctoral degree; or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph. D. or equivalent doctoral degree.
There is no educational substitution for the GS-12 level.
Note: Undergraduate and graduate degrees must be in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks. (Transcripts Required)
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, Ameri.
Corps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: .
If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
You will be redirected to Department of Veterans Affairs's preferred application process.
Job Expires: December 10, 2020
More Work-from-home Jobs
Uh oh! Something went wrong. Please try again.